History

THE EARLY YEARS 

Toward the end of 1918 a group of golfers formed themselves into an organised body and laid out a nine hole course on part of the present club acreage. The land was owned by MR EM Hutchinson.  

Play was permitted on Mr Hutchinson's property on the understanding that the golfers must move if required. According to records, it seems at a time a shift was made to the Hikuwai area, near the beach. However play was eventually reestablished in the Woodlands area.  

Early in the 1930’s the lease expired and a sub-committee was set up to look for a suitable property to purchase. It was resolved to contact Mr Hutchinson and renegotiate a new lease or alternatively to purchase the existing property.  

Mr Hutchison was a member of the Gisborne Club and a keen golfer, made a very reasonable offer to sell the at 25 pounds per acre. The land was promptly purchased…. 

The Opotiki Golf Club is the Eastern outpost of the Bay of Plenty and still maintains the traditions of sportsmanship, hospitality and service to the great game of golf, which has been a hallmark since the clubs inception.